August 19, 2015
What You Need to Know About Swimming Pool Insurance
There are many facets to swimming pool insurance and the varialbes for coverage are worthy of a discussion. Here is a guideline for you to review, but please contact our office to discuss your specific situation along with your existing policies so we make sure that you have the best possible coverage at a rate that makes sense for you.
Will you be getting an above ground pool?
- If yes, then the pool is under your personal property and you need to consider factors such as the weight of snow and ice or trees falling and causing the sides to collapse.
- You will also need liability insurance in case someone gets hurt.
- An above ground pool must have a removable ladder.
- You will need a fence around the pool.
Will you be installing and inground pool?
- Are you also installing a slide or diving board? Make certain to let us know, as not all carriers offer coverage on slides or diving boards.
- Just as with an above ground pool, you will need liability insurance in case of a personal injury.
- Depending upon your location a fence around the pool may or may not be a requirement, this is something that needs to be discussed before your policy is written.
- Are the mechanical systems covered by my pool insurance or do they fall into another category and what are my options for coverage?
- Is your hot tub part of the pool or is it a stand alone entity? Hot tubs that are independent of the pool are considered personal property and should have a top with a lock.
Kaplan Insurance Pool Safety Tips:
- Consider your layers of protection for the pool: fences with doors that lock, ladders, alarms, and safety covers.
- Never leave children unattended, even for a second.
- Remove all toys from the pool when you are done swimming. They may be a temptation for young children and result in them falling in when proper supervision isn’t deemed necessary.
- The mechanical devices, filters, suction force can be a hazard, do not allow play near these areas. Make sure your family members all know how to turn off the devices in case of an emergency.
- Don’t swim alone.
- Start swimming lessons early.
- Do not allow glass around the pool.
- Have a policy regarding alcoholic beverage consumption around the pool and swimming and stick to it.
- Be hyper vigilant about diving in the shallow end of the pool.
- Learn CPR and keep a phone on the deck.
Kaplan Insurance Suggestions for Fun in Your Pool:
- Get an outdoor speaker system and sign up for a free Spotify account.
- If you are having a party with lots of young swimmers hire a local lifeguard for a few hours so you aren’t chief lifeguard and hostess.
- Serve fruit so people stay hydrated and you don’t have to do lots of cooking.
- Get a nice floaty or some noodles so you can be in the water and chat.
- Play games for children of all ages, Marco Polo, pool volleyball, minnows and sharks are always a hit.
Ultimately a pool is a wonderful gathering place for friends and family members of all ages. We at Kaplan Insurance encourage safe, healthy fun, feel free to contact us with your questions and we will work with you so that you have a policy that is right for your needs at a price you can afford.